Thursday, February 16, 2012

July 12-18, 1940

The Women’s Voluntary Service reported that a formidable barrage of this valuable metal had poured in their Temple Street headquarters as Swindon residents were congratulated on their response to the appeal for aluminium donations.

Swindon Press joined the campaign with a window display at Newspaper House, Victoria Road, another collection point where housewives deposited anything that could be spared from their homes.

The WVS reported they had received offers of transport by residents in outlying rural areas and announced the first lorry load of reclaimed metal was ready for despatch by the end of this week in 1940.

'An amazing collection of articles ranging from vacuum cleaners to tiny vanity boxes from m’lady’s handbag’ had been received at the collection points, the Advertiser reported.

Mr W.E. Grey, 72 year old District Councillor is seen supervising the scrap metal dump at Hodson and (pictured.

German military artefacts from the 1914-18 war were donated to the war salvage effort by Nurse Peace of 66 Radnor Street, Swindon. Mrs Pearce said the items had been souvenirs collected by her husband who had served in the Welsh Guards during the war. Following the death of her husband last year, Mrs Pearce told the Advertiser that it would have been his wish that the trophies should be so used.

Two local families received welcome news this week when soldiers previously reported missing were confirmed to be prisoners of war.

Last heard of at the end of May, Mr & Mrs A.F. Thompson of 571 Ferndale Road, received official notification that their son, Platoon Sergt Major Vernon Thompson, was a prisoner of war. Sergt. Major Thompson of the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, was taken prisoner during the mass evacuation of troops from Dunkirk.

And Mrs D.M. Coid of 80 Perry’s Lane, Wroughton, the wife of Corporal J. Coid of the Irish Guards, wrote to the Advertiser to announce her husband was also safe.

“The messages of encouragement I received after your reports helped me very much during the anxious weeks of waiting and I feel very grateful,” Mrs Coid wrote in a letter to the Editor.
“Should you think it of sufficient interest to report this latest news, I am sure it will give further hope to the relatives of those who are still on the ‘missing’ list.”

Charles O’Connor pleaded ‘quite guilty’ when he appeared at Swindon Borough Police Court charged with being drunk.

Special Constable Pearce told how he found O’Connor lying in Byron Street in a drunken condition and unable to stand.

When charged the following morning O’Connor admitted he had had a drop too much to drink. “I had a dog with me and it pulled me over,” he told the Court. “And held you down?” asked Mr J.W. Pooley, Deputy Clerk. “Yes,” replied O’Connor.

Announcing that he would be fined 5s, the Mayor, Coun H.R. Hustings, told O’Connor not to have so much to drink. “Not at 10d a pint,” he replied, referring to the recently announced price increase on beer.

And one Swindon resident made an unusual find in his garden this week in 1940. Mr Edmonds discovered some ancient bones and pottery, pictured, while he was digging an air raid shelter in the garden of his home at Wood Street, Swindon.

No comments:

Post a Comment